Can't play music

Having trouble installing AmpJuke ?
Check this.

Can't play music

Postby miko on 19-12-2007 13:56

i used AmpJuke Version 0.6.7 and I install everything seem good but when I heart it ... I can't because Window media player show this " Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file"
Can you help me plz ?
Thx
miko

Postby Michael on 22-12-2007 11:08

Hello miko,

Welcome to the AmpJuke forum and thanks for posting.

I have to admit up front, that I do not think your problem is related to AmpJuke.

Depending on the version of WMP, Microsoft has some stuff on their website in relation to WMP version 9 and WMP version 10.
Apparently, there isn't a page in relation to the (rather brilliant) version 11 (consider it, of you haven't got it already), - at least I couldn't find something... Maybe Microsoft (finally) released something without bugs..? :lol:

I also ran the bold text of your prev. message through my favorite search engine, and it came up with a (large) number of suggestions/places to look.

//Michael.
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Can't play music

Postby sajidnch on 14-08-2008 00:12

miko wrote:i used AmpJuke Version 0.6.7 and I install everything seem good but when I heart it ... I can't because Window media player show this " Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file"
Can you help me plz ?
Thx

I'm facing the same problem with WMP 11.
sajidnch
Hangaround
Hangaround

Postby Michael on 14-08-2008 00:27

So - is it a codec problem, as suggested in the link to the search above, or can you play the music straight away in WMP11 without AmpJuke ?

If you can, I suggest you turn off "Now playing" or at least use the "light" version when using WMP11.

//Michael.
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby sajidnch on 14-08-2008 00:40

Yes I can listen to all uploaded files locally saved on my computer. I've turned off "Now Playing" but same error
sajidnch
Hangaround
Hangaround

Postby Michael on 14-08-2008 08:36

Then I'll recommend you turn off transcoding/downsampling, if it's active.

Another suggestion would be to treat the .wma-files as a special extension.
If you do that, they're just 'pushed' out over HTTP (in other words: NOT streamed).

//Michael.
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby sajidnch on 14-08-2008 09:22

I've done both but still same problem :oops:
sajidnch
Hangaround
Hangaround

Postby Michael on 14-08-2008 10:21

First things first...
Let's see if we can the your problem in relation to personal settings solved before proceeding here.

//Michael.
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Michael on 14-08-2008 12:01

Just logged into your box using the credentials you sent to me in an email earlier.

This is what happens: When I click on something I want to play (track, album, performer), I'm asked what I want to do with the file... :?:

When digging further into this, I can see that the .m3u-playlist generated and sent from your box to my browser, looks similar to this:
Code: Select all
http://www."yourserver".com/ampjuke/tmp/Admin.mp3

When I click on something I want to play (track, album, performer) on my box, I'm not asked what I want to do with the file...

When inspecting the .m3u-playlist generated and sent from my box, I see a correct formatted .m3u-playlist:
Code: Select all
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:234,The_Hooters_-_Mr._Big_Baboon'_[The_Hooters:_Greatest_Hits]
http://www."myserver".org/ampjuke/stream.php?The_Hooters_-_Mr._Big_Baboon'_[The_Hooters:_Greatest_Hits]&id=8081&user_id=2&language=DA&update_now_playing=1&...some more parameters...
#EXTINF:-1,Automatic play
http://www."myserver".org/ampjuke/stream.php?id=0&what=Related&...some more parameters...

Somehow the .m3u-file that's being generated on your box is crippled/altered (or simply just flat out wrong) in some way.

I suspect this is related to the configuration of your webserver, since both tests were conducted using the same browser, the same access method (I'm accessing my box remotely just like yours), and - this is the important point - exactly the same version of AmpJuke.

In other words: I cannot reproduce a 'strange' .m3u-playlist on the AmpJuke servers I have access to here.
Even not when using the same version of AmpJuke as you do, the same browser etc.etc.

//Michael.
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby StrikeDaMic on 24-09-2008 09:38

Hey all

First, Michael: Thanks for a great piece of PHP code. AmpJuke is the only PHP applet that works on my QNAP NAS, and it works quite well. Keep it up!

Now,I have exactly the same problem. Firefox couldn't even validate my login, and now that I want to play music, WMP (Version 11) keeps telling me that it can't play the file. I'm at work, so I have no system rights to install any additional software.

What can I do?? I already tried what you recommended in this thread, but no success :(

I like this app very much, and I would love to use it at work!

Thanks a lot

PS: I use IE now.
StrikeDaMic

Postby Michael on 25-09-2008 13:47

Hi StrikeDaMic,

Welcome to the AmpJuke forum and thanks for posting.

First, Michael: Thanks for a great piece of PHP code. AmpJuke is the only PHP applet that works on my QNAP NAS, and it works quite well. Keep it up!

Thanks for the nice words.
...and yes: I will (at least try to) keep it up, - you can count on that !

You actually sort of caught me off guard, since my work life is a mess right now: we're getting new servers@work, and the existing ones will be moved, cabling needs to be redone, and - of course - normal operations must continue. A real nightmare...

So - until I have the time to try and re-create your problem - some quick suggestions:
- Enable "light update" for "now playing" when the user has WMP. http://www.ampjuke.org/faq.php?q_id=42.
- Turn off transcoding (take care, it's on by default): http://www.ampjuke.org/faq.php?q_id=48.
- Do you have any "special extensions" ? http://www.ampjuke.org/faq.php?q_id=54. You might even try and treat .mp3 as a special extension, just to see if it's the NAS-thing at your end that's causing trouble in the stream engine...
- Finally, a dumb suggestion: Does IE block for pop-ups from your AmpJuke server ? I've tried that many times in the past...

Sorry, that's the best I can do right now.

Next step (for me) will be to try and re-create the problem (using WMP11 and IE).
If that doesn't get me anywhere, I might need additional information from you (or perhaps even a login to your box, so I can test myself - and no: I will not raise hell on your installation).

//Michael.
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby StrikeDaMic on 26-09-2008 10:36

Hey Michael

Thanks for replying.

I tried your suggestions, but unfortunately, none worked. I'll wait for your response again.

Thanks!

Greetz
StrikeDaMic

Postby Michael on 26-09-2008 15:15

OK. I'll try this weekend to see if I can get my hands on a PC w. WMP11+IE.

Stay tuned...

//Michael.
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Michael on 27-09-2008 14:06

Hi StrikeDaMic,

Bad news: Just got my hands on a PC w. XP/IE/WMP11...
...and it plays music from the AmpJuke server without any problems...

I configured my box to show "light updates" (when using WMP) in "Now playing", and also turned off transcoding. Just to be sure, I also avoided the last.fm stuff.

Bottom line is: I cannot re-create the error using XP/IE/WMP11 here.
Now, the only difference (apart from actual hardware) seems to be the fact that you're attempting to stream music from a NAS box. I'm not sure if that's a problem - although the recommendation is to have both the script and the music on the same server.

*Sigh* Wish I could be more helpful :(

//Michael.
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

I also can not play music outside my LAN with any player

Postby musicus on 25-11-2008 18:28

Hello everyone,
I have the same problem that I can not play any songs outside my LAN, which would lead me to the conclusion that the firewall could be a problem. I have to check the logs and hope to find something.

inside the network I can play using VLC or Windows media player, even that I have to go through the firewall, because
a. the webserver is in the DMZ.
b. but I have a route from the trusted to the DMZ.

Any feedback are more than welcome (ports used with which protocol etcetcetc)

Thanks
musicus
AmpJuke user
AmpJuke user

Re: Can't play music, NOW its resolved

Postby musicus on 26-11-2008 11:52

Hello everyone,

I was able to fix the problem not being able playing music outside my LAN. The problem was a specific one with the URL I am using getting to my website.

Cheers
musicus
AmpJuke user
AmpJuke user

Postby Michael on 26-11-2008 15:31

Hi musicus,

Thanks for the updates.
In the past, I also had issues in relation to firewalls (incl. streming music in AmpJuke), but found out that traffic on port 80 (HTTP) wasn't being redirected to the appropriate IP-address on the DMZ.

//Michael.
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby sudeshna on 27-03-2011 09:54

How do you connect Xbox windows media player from your PC? Ok so we want to turn on windows media player on the Xbox from our PC. Where do we go to put in the numbers to turn on Xbox lives windows media player?
Last edited by sudeshna on 31-03-2011 12:54, edited 1 time in total.
sudeshna

Postby Michael on 28-03-2011 13:59

Hi Sudeshna,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the AmpJuke forum.

I'm not sure I completely understand exactly what your problem is (apart from trying to connect your Xbox).
Please clarify.

Thanks.

//Michael.
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Installation / support