Author Topic: Installation Under Cpanel - OK or not? - scan, opendir fails  (Read 4946 times)

amp-z0r3d

• Singing for myself
  • Newbie :)
    • View Profile
Hi, I was wondering if there are any reported problems with permissions under Cpanel installations which are essentially shared virtual servers?

I seem to have Ampjuke installed successfully but I get no music added during scans.
Now, I have read your documentation regarding placement of the music folder outside doc_root, but I think this is impossible for me. The "alternate scan" tool also fails to open any directory, with this error:

Warning: opendir( /home/userID/public_html/addondomain/Music) [function.opendir]: failed to open dir: No such file or directory in /home/userID/public_html/addondomain/ampjuke-0.8.6/browser3.php on line 200

My absolute directory structure is as you see above, and I have set the Music folder permissions to 777.

I don't know what to try next, do you have some ideas?
Thanks.

Michael

• Administrator
  • Addicted to music
    • View Profile
Hi amp-z0r3d,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the AmpJuke community/forum.

I haven't heard of any permission problems in relation to Cpanel, - on the other hand that doesn't mean they don't exist...

Based on the error from the "alternate scan", it seems like you're "pointing" to the wrong directory/folder.
That triggers the error, obviously.

If you perhaps could insert a getcwd somewhere in scan.php or browser3.php to get an indication of the "correct" directory, it might help.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with Cpanel.
On the other hand, I suspect that it's the "virtual servers" part that's causing the problem, - ie. virtual servers may (or may not) have a different directory structure compared to the "host".

Sorry I'm not able to help more in relation to this.

//Michael.

amp-z0r3d

• Singing for myself
    • View Profile
I feel so stupid now. I did try out that getcwd thing and it worked, but it did not give me a different dir structure. After playing with it a while I figured out I had inadvertently put a space before the leading slash in the music path in configuration options. Ok, so that's progress. Now at least I can graduate to a different kind of error. Now the scan tool really works and I have successfully added Performers, Tracks, and Albums. I haven't gotten anything to play quite yet because my player doesn't seem to like the stream links very much, but I'm very pleased with the progress thus far, and having fun playing with it. Thanks for your help.

I guess the upshot is, there really is no problem that I can see with running under Cpanel. My problems are clearly related to um...something else.

Michael

• Administrator
  • Addicted to music
    • View Profile
Thanks for the feedback.
Hey - admitting an error is (in my opinion) a really great personal ability!

It doesn't like the links...? Hmm... can I offer some help in relation to that ?
They are ordinary m3u-files, unless you're using flash: then it's xspf.
I've tested m3u against Winamp, VLC (my favorite), Media player ('cause some people are still using it, apparently) as well as a range Linux-players (Gnome mplayer, movie player etc.).

If you need to investigate the m3u-playlist, it will be stored in your /path/to/ampjuke/tmp/<username>.m3u before being sent to the client. It will only be there for a relatively short duration.

By the way: Pop-ups should be allowed from your server.

//Michael.

amp-z0r3d

• Singing for myself
    • View Profile
Thanks. I have installed VLC which works very nicely. I don't know why ZOOM (free version) didn't work even with it properly associated with .m3u files. grr.

By the way, I noticed one little thing when I was playing with user options as administrator.
I'm not sure if this is by design or not, but when you open the user administration panel (as admin user) the admin options panel disappears, and doesn't reappear until you login again. I guess that is for security in case some admin options are changed?
« Last Edit: 16-11-2012 16:05 by amp-z0r3d »

Michael

• Administrator
  • Addicted to music
    • View Profile
The admin panel is supposed to show up on the "welcome" page when you login as an administrator...
...it's checked against the active session (which again get some of it's settings from the database).

Take a look around line 460 in index.php.

//Michael.

amp-z0r3d

• Singing for myself
    • View Profile
This is a non-issue. I'm an idiot. I did a number of installs, and some odd display issues were related to not clearing my cookies.