Author Topic: Various Artists What various Artists??  (Read 2731 times)

zazafromjohor

• Stalker
  • Newbie :)
    • View Profile
Various Artists What various Artists??
« on: 11-05-2013 14:55 »
Hi there!!

I set up an ampjuke on my website: http://norest4thecollectors.x10hosting.com/ampjuke

All is good exept, I get various artists instead of the name of the actual artist. this only happens when albums is clicked on the sidebar and as a result also when I click on performer / artist, i get a suffix (appears on) before the album name

Anyone has an idea what s happening???? I am pretty sure that all tags are OK -

Michael

• Administrator
  • Addicted to music
    • View Profile
Re: Various Artists What various Artists??
« Reply #1 on: 12-05-2013 12:06 »
Hi zazafromjohur,

Welcome to the AmpJuke forum and thanks for posting.

I think your problem can be solved on either one of these two suggestions:

Although AmpJuke was designed to "ignore" folder-names and rely 100% on the tags, a *basic* folder-structure should be implemented.
If - for example - you put all of your albums into one folder (f.ex. "music"), then there will be "confusion" about what performer is on a particular album.
So, a basic way of organization is required...
For example - if your music collection is rather small - you might put albums into individual sub-folders, such as:
"acdc - back in black"
"acdc - flick of the switch"
"aerosmith - big ones"
"billy idol - rebel yell"
...etc...

For a larger collection, you can add an extra level or two for subfolders, such as:
"a/acdc/back in black"
"a/acdc/flock of the switch"
"a/aerosmith/big ones"
"b/billy idol/rebel yell"
...etc...

Although you mention your tags are OK (and I'm sure they are  ;)), I'll recommend reorganization of your albums into individual folders (as mentioned above) as the first step and - if still unsuccessfull  - inspecting the tags again.
I can highly recommend mp3tag.

Hopes some of this makes sense.
If not, please post an update (well, feel free to do so in any case).

//Michael.

zazafromjohor

• Stalker
  • Newbie :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08-06-2013 09:15 »
Hi, Michael
Thank you for your answer... I gave  your fix a try and that worked. I am not sure if it is related but in the summary the number of performers shows as 1 it should be 2 -..
I got other questions but I will post them later separately to benefit the comunauty.

Michael

• Administrator
  • Addicted to music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09-06-2013 10:24 »
Hi zazafromjohur,

Great that the solution worked - thanks for the feedback  :)

I suspect that the reason why you see the number of performers as 1 instead of 2 might be related to "playing" with the database...
Within the performer-table a "special" record is created during installation/setup.
The "special" record is actually a "placeholder" for albums with "various" (=more than one) performers on.

If you by accident deleted that record from the database, then the total number of performers will be off by 1.

//Michael.