Author Topic: Steaming  (Read 3124 times)

reaz

• Stalker
  • Newbie :)
    • View Profile
Steaming
« on: 30-07-2013 22:35 »
Hello
Please excuse my ignorance of AmpJuke as this is the first I've heard of it.  I have a few questions related to streaming and I did search the forum but could not find an answer to my questions.

-Can I use AmpJuke as a replacement to Icecast/Shoutcast?
-If I can, that would be really great, how do I connect a stream from a source client to it.  My Source is Airtime.
Once again sorry  if this was addressed before but I could not find any info on this.

Thanks

Michael

• Administrator
  • Addicted to music
    • View Profile
Re: Steaming
« Reply #1 on: 06-08-2013 20:18 »
Hello reaz,

Welcome to the AmpJuke forum and thanks for posting.

Sorry I'm a bit late with some answers - for some reason I didn't get any notification about your post.

Replacement for Icecast/Shoutcast:
Well...AmpJuke *is* different in the sense that it both handles music management and streaming.
Rather than trying to explain the differences, I will suggest you start by reading this FAQ-entry: http://www.ampjuke.org/?id=faq93 and the related entries (located at the end of the FAQ-entry).
After that you might be aware of the differences, and be able to make a decision if AmpJuke is a suitable replacement for Icecast/Shoutcast.

Airtime:
I'm not familiar with Airtime in any way, sorry.
If you're thinking about connecting Airtime to AmpJuke running in "jukebox mode", it should be as easy as pointing to the URL+portnumber.
See this example: http://www.ampjuke.org/?id=faq97.

Hope some of this makes sense.
If not, please post an update with any additional questions (well...feel free to post an update no matter what - I'll respond a bit more quikly next time  ;)).

//Michael.

reaz

• Stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12-08-2013 15:56 »
Hi Michael
Thanks for the reply.

I checked the links you posted but they did not answer the questions I have. 

The setup I have is:
Airtime (Does the scheduling) --> Liquidsoap (Does the transcoding (MP3 and AAC)) --> Icecast and Shoutcast. 
I would like to replace the Icecast and Shoutcast with Ampjuke.  Reason is my web host gave me the ability to install Ampjuke so I was wondering if I could forward the stream from Airtime (actually Liquidsoap) to AmpJuke and have Ampjuke relay the stream. 

AmpJuke would basically relay the incoming MP3 or AAC stream and the listeners would then connect to AmpJuke to hear the streams.

I hope this explains what I'm trying to do.

Reaz

Michael

• Administrator
  • Addicted to music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15-08-2013 11:09 »
Hi Reaz,

Thanks for the follow-up.

Well...straight answer: I don't think it's possible to do what you want with AmpJuke  :-\

Without knowing exactly what Airtime+Liquidsoap offers (plus how they operate and what features they offer), AmpJuke might be used as a replacement for the entire setup.
...apart from the fact that AmpJuke cannot handle real "scheduling" (unless, of course, some modifications are made...).

If you just want to replace icecast/shoutcast it might be worth looking at some alternatives somewhere.
Sorry.

//Michael.

reaz

• Stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15-08-2013 19:07 »
Hi Michael
Once again thanks for replying.

I'm not a programmer or anything close to that so my understanding of the underling concept of how these parts work is beyond me.

I was hoping that since AmpJuke was able to stream a local song, adding an input that is a stream from an external source would be easy.  Maybe I'm simplifying the process.  I'll have to ask my Hosting people for some alternatives. 

Thanks for your reply to these questions.

Reaz